Friday, September 25, 2009

A Poetical Interlude

Around this time of year, I most always find myself feeling a bit poetic and into poetry. Recently, I keep thinking of this poem, http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=181986 (my apologies for only having the link here: didn't want to print it without authorization), "Atlantic Oil" by Cesare Pavese, that I first came across about a year ago. Probably I should memorize it (the words), but the visual imagery and the feel of environment and people is what keeps coming to mind. I'd forgotten there is a mention of Fall, which perhaps reminded me of it; the time of the poem itself, I picture as Spring or perhaps even Summer. Of course, Autumn always makes me wish it were Spring or Summer again already.

Also of course, I hate to have an entry with no picture: "Bigelow Brawl," 30 x 24 inches, acrylic on canvas, one of the old Tea Paintings. These fellows have probably had too much wine, themselves. At any rate, I recommend hopping over to the poetry foundation site to check out Mr. Pavese's work: most all of his poems have the distinct sense of time, place, and (annecdotal) event; and the manner of writing that has the immediate, visual presence I most enjoy (in writing).

I seem to be enjoying parentheses as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment